Fernando Alonso making a "solid recovery" in hospital

Photo of Alonso recovering in hospital has been released

Photo of Alonso recovering in hospital has been released

Fernando Alonso is making a “solid recovery” following a heavy crash during testing on Sunday, McLaren have announced.

Alonso spent the night in hospital after his McLaren-Honda left the track and hit a wall side-on at turn three of the Circuit de Catalunya near Barcelona.

The Spaniard remained conscious and able to speak to doctors after the incident, but he was concussed and airlifted to hospital for precautionary checks, including CT and MRI scans.

A McLaren statement on Monday read: "We are pleased to confirm that, having been involved in an on-track incident at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya (Spain) on February 22nd, Fernando Alonso is making a solid recovery in hospital, and is chatting to family, friends and hospital staff."

It continued: "In order to provide the privacy and tranquillity required to facilitate a peaceful recuperation, he is being kept in hospital for further observation, and to recover from the effects of the medication that successfully managed his routine sedation yesterday.

"We intend to give him every opportunity to make a rapid and complete recovery, and will evaluate in due course whether or not he will participate in the next Barcelona test."

The final pre-season test takes place in Barcelona from February 26 to March 1.

McLaren have carried out tests on Alonso's car and insist the crash was not caused by mechanical failure.

"Our findings indicate that the accident was caused by the unpredictably gusty winds at that part of the circuit at that time, and which had affected other drivers similarly (eg, Carlos Sainz Jnr)," McLaren said.

"We can categorically state that there is no evidence that indicates that Fernando's car suffered mechanical failure of any kind."

The incident occurred on the final day of the Formula One pre-season test, with the new campaign due to begin in Australia on March 15.

Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told the Spanish media he "doesn't think there will be any problems" with regard to the two-time world champion making the start line in Melbourne and he also denied reports that Alonso had been feeling dizzy prior to the crash.

"I deny that Fernando was feeling unwell prior to the incident," he said. "The car had grip, there was tremendous wind and he went into the wall, the rest is speculation.

"The car telemetry has stated that he was correcting from left to right. Fernando was hitting the brake and changing gears until the moment of impact."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>